Tummy Tuck FAQ’s
What are mommy makeover, abdominoplasty, and mini tuck?
The mommy makeover is a comprehensive series of procedures done to help a woman get her pre-baby body back. It may include tummy tuck, breast enhancement, and liposuction and sometimes, thigh lifts.
Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is the surgical procedure that removes excessive fat and skin from the abdomen along with tightening the abdominal wall muscles. The result of the surgery is a flattened abdomen.
A mini tummy tuck is a smaller and less invasive procedure that removes the skin and tightens the muscles between belly button and pubic bone.
Who Are the Best Candidates For a Tummy Tuck?
- Individuals at stable weight but with extra skin on abdomen, and/or muscle weakness
- Person should be in good physical and mental health to tolerate the procedure
- Women who have experienced one or more pregnancy and have no further plans of pregnancy
- Aging individuals with sagging or lose skin
- No serious medical illness that can delay healing
- Patients who have lost a lot of weight either by dieting or Bariatric Surgery
What major complications have been associated with tummy tuck?
- Bleeding under the skin flap
- Blood clots that can travel to lungs and interfere with breathing
- Insufficient healing
- Pain, swelling, numbness, bruising and overall tiredness for initial few days after surgery
What Factors Increase the Risks of Complications after tummy tuck?
- Smoking, use of tobacco products or being a passive smoker
- Poor circulation
- Heart, lung or liver disease
- History of blood clots
Who Should Not Consider a Tummy Tuck?
- Woman who is planning a pregnancy
- Individuals who are planning to lose a lot of weight by exercise and diet
What are the types of Tummy Tucks?
- The Mini Tummy Tuck
- The Standard Tummy Tuck
- The Extended Tummy Tuck
What is the procedure for Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is the procedure that flattens the abdomen by removing extra fat and skin along with tightening muscles of abdominal wall.
What is the cost of tummy tuck?
80, 000 to 1, 70, 000 Indian Rupees. It may be less or more, depending upon the individual case.?
Tummy Tuck Vs Liposuction: which is right for you?
Every individual desire for a flat, toned and smooth stomach, and try every possible diet and exercise routine to achieve it. But sometimes, despite our best efforts, the stubborn fat around stomach refuses to go. In some cases, fat may go leaving loose and sagging skin behind which nullifies the effects of weight loss. For all those disappointed people, its time to consider liposuction or a tummy tuck. These cosmetic surgery procedures can help in removing those extra fat cells and tighten the loose abdominal skin.
The best procedure for an individual depends upon the target area and the goal of the procedure.
Liposuction is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure to remove those extra fatty deposits instantly and re-sculpt the body for a flattering contour and a smoother figure. The procedure involves the use of a tube like structure called cannula, which is inserted into the target area to suction out the unwanted fat.
Liposuction is often performed on areas such as the belly, thighs, back, breast and buttocks.
Tummy tuckor abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure specifically designed to tighten the loose skin of the stomach and strengthen the muscles in the abdominal wall. It creates a smoother and firmer abdomen by removing excess fat and skin along with tightening the muscles.
Females planning to get pregnant are also not good candidates for the procedure, as pregnancy will stretch out the skin, and this may reverse some of the effects of tummy tuck surgery.
Which Is Right For You?
While liposuction and tummy tuck can both offer effective results, these procedures are actually quite different and meant for different needs.
Liposuction is the choice of procedure for those individuals who are close to their ideal body weight, but have little stubborn fat around their middle body that refuses to go with conventional weight-loss methods like dieting and exercise. Liposuction is for those individuals who have good skin elasticity and muscle tone.
Tummy tuck is the choice of procedure for those individuals who have loose skin, have lower abdominal stretch marks or stretched abdominal wall muscles. It is most appropriate for patients whose abdomen has sagged or protruded due to factors like pregnancy, heredity, aging or fluctuations in weight.
Both the procedures can also be performed in a combined manner to eliminate excess fat and skin followed by muscle tightening for body sculpting purposes.
Autologous Fat Transfer
Autologous fat transfer or microlipoinjection, is a procedure which uses an individual’s own body fat to plump up the sunken or emaciated areas. The term “autologous” means the use of one’s own tissues or fat.
- Physically healthy women with
- flat, unpronounced, or masculine body parts (e.g. breasts, buttocks etc.)
- a suitable donor region
- near ideal body weight
- firm and elastic skin
- realistic goals
The procedure is performed in following three steps:
- First step is the gentle liposuction (removal) of some excess fat from the patients own body parts like abdomen, thighs, or buttocks.
- Second step involves the isolation, processing and cleansing of the fat cells.
- Finally in the third step, fat cells are re-injected into the targeted areas to give them fuller appearance.
- The natural-appearing result lasts long
- Safe & nearly scarless procedure
- Patient gets larger and natural feeling contours without implant
- Dual benefit of fat removal from fatty area and fat injection to flat area
- Only about 60% of fat survives the transfer procedure with permanence after about 4-6 months
- It is a longer procedure due to liposuction and fat processing steps
- The size increase depends upon the availability of the donor fat and the space available within recipient site
- It may be required to repeat the procedure several times to achieve the desired results
- Some complications associated with liposuction like swelling, may occur but generally resolves within 2-3 weeks
A Brazilian butt lift
It is the procedure that involves transfer of fat to the buttocks, for the purpose of enhancing their feminine size and shape. The procedure increases the size, enhances the contour, and corrects any proportional imbalances of the buttocks.
- Buttocks appear far more shapely and attractive
- Improved overall appearance of the individual as extra fat is removed from fatty areas, like abdomen, thighs, back, arms, chest, and neck and injected into the needy buttocks.
Breast augmentation is a procedure designed to aesthetically enhance the self-image of a woman with small breasts, by restoring or enhancing shape, curve, and contour of the breasts. Breast augmentation performed by autologous fat transfer technique gives fuller, larger, more proportioned breasts, by using the individuals own body fat.
- Natural and subtle increase in breast size (1 – 1 1/2 cup size)
- Improved body contour
- No risk of complications associated with breast implant like rupture, leak etc.
- Immediate and dramatic results
Is it normal to be anxious before having liposuction surgery?
Yes. It is absolutely normal to be anxious before liposuction surgery. The degree of anxiousness varies from person to person and it can be very well managed by anti-anxiety drugs.
How do I choose the right surgeon?
The main considerations while choosing the right surgeon for liposuction procedure are:
- medical training
- surgical experience
- treated patients satisfaction rate
What major complications have been associated with liposuction?
Major complications associated with liposuction are although rare but following may occur:
- Pulmonary thromboembolism (a blood clot in the lung)
- Pulmonary edema (excessive accumulation of fluid in the lungs)
- Intra-Abdominal Perforation with Visceral Injury (injury to an organ within the abdominal cavity)
- Hematoma (bleeding into a closed space under the skin) or Seroma (leakage of serum into closed space under the skin)
- Skin Necrosis (the death of skin cells)
- Nerve Damage
- Swelling or Edema
- Adverse Drug Reactions
What Factors Increase the Risks of Liposuction Complications?
The risk of complications increases in following conditions:
- An attempt to do too much liposuction on the same day
- If liposuction is combined with other unrelated surgeries, like facelift, breast surgery on the same day of liposuction.
Why are elastic compression garments worn after liposuction?
Elastic compression garments helps to ease swelling and reduce the risk of seroma.
Who is a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
Ideal candidates for candidates are:
- Healthy male and female adults within 30% of their ideal weight
- Individuals with stubborn fatty areas that is unresponsive to diet or exercise
- Individual must have firm & elastic skin with good muscle tone
- Individuals with no life-threatening disease that can impair healing
- Individuals with realistic expectations and positive mind
What is a successful liposuction surgery?
Patients happiness from the results is the most important criteria to ascertain the success of liposuction surgery. Although the surgeon aims to obtain optimal aesthetic results but sometimes patient may feel disappointed due to the small amount of fat removed. But a liposuction procedure that produces dramatic changes in patients contour should be the criteria rather than the amount of fat removed.
What Alternatives Are There to Liposuction?
There are some non-surgical liposuction alternatives that can give a certain degree of inch loss, but none are as dramatic as Liposuction because unlike Liposuction the fat that is released from the fat cells in these techniques stays in the body, and unless you are into rigourous exercise and dieting can come back to the same area
- Bella Contour
Is liposuction a reasonable treatment for obesity?
Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity, the treatment for obesity includes, dieting, exercise and if required Bariatric Surgery (or weight loss surgery). Liposuction can be used in overweight patients who are following a regime of dieting and exercise to address specific resistant areas.
Liposuction is a contouring procedure that will give you back the curves you have lost as you have aged, it is essential to follow a healthy lifestyle that consists of diet and exercise to maintain liposuction results.
Does liposuction produce permanent results?
Results after liposuction are permanent provided the patient maintains a stable body weight through continued healthy lifestyle consisting of dieting and exercise.